- 1 Ideas
- 2 Standards
- 3 plugin for firefox
- 4 Aistriúcháin Ainmneacha na Míonna
- 5 Cuil
- 6 New UK wikimedia chapter
- 7 Vicífhoclóir:Staidrimh
- 8 Úsáid an Ailt i dTeidil
- 9 meta:Wiktionary/logo/refresh/proposals
- 10 Bonjour du Wiktionnaire
- 11 Logo Vote
- 12 Wikimania Scholarships
- 13 Call for image filter referendum
- 15 Open Call for 2012 Wikimedia Fellowship Applicants
- 16 Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta
- 17 SOPA/PIPA
- 18 MediaWiki 1.19
- 19 fuaimniú na bhfocal "amha"
- 20 Update on IPv6
- 21 2011 Picture of the Year competition
- 22 Mobile view as default view coming soon
- 23 Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year
- 24 Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program
- 25 Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out
- 26 Upcoming software changes - please report any problems
- 27 Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed
- 28 Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer!
- 29 Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.
- 30 Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab
- 31 Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful
- 32 Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool
- 33 Request for comment on inactive administrators
- 34 [en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming
- 35 [en] Change to section edit links
- 36 Tech newsletter: Subscribe to receive the next editions
- 37 Trademark discussion
- 38 X!'s Edit Counter
- 39 Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09
- 40 Pywikipedia is migrating to git
- 41 HTTPS for users with an account
- 42 Request for consultation on community logo
- 43 Notifications
- 44 Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.
- 45 Introducting Beta Features
- 46 Call for comments on draft trademark policy
- 47 Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?
- 48 Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014
- 50 IMPORTANT: Admin activity review
- 51 Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments
- 53 Changes to the default site typography coming soon
- 54 Pronunciation Recording
- 55 Media Viewer
- 56 Using only UploadWizard for uploads
- 57 Media Viewer is now live on this wiki
- 58 Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decisions
- 59 Process ideas for software development
- 60 Grants to improve your project
- 61 Meta RfCs on two new global groups
- 62 Global AbuseFilter
- 63 [Global proposal] m.Vicífhoclóir.org: (iad uile) Edit pages
- 64 Inspire Campaign: Improving diversity, improving content
It occurs to me that there are other glossaries out there on the Internet that might be open to inclusion in Vicífhoclóir. This might be an easy way to add entries once we have a standard worked out, but the status of these glossaries would need to be checked and perhaps permission sought. I'm thinking of things like an Oll-Liosta Téarmaíochta, an Foclóir Parlaiminte and an Foclóir Fhiontair as well as various glossaries by An Gúmwhich are available through acmhainn.ie.
Structure & Style[athraigh]
Ainmneacha na Laethanta is na Míosa[athraigh]
200 ailt faoi láthair[athraigh]
Jcwf 20:13, 22 Meán Fómhair 2007 (UTC)
plugin for firefox[athraigh]
- Oh super! Thanks, SB. I'm adding this to my FF browser here. Where do you get the time for all this??!!! We must add this to our "resources" page - Alison ❤
Aistriúcháin Ainmneacha na Míonna[athraigh]
Sna hailt na míonna le haghaidh Catalóinise, aistrítear "març" go "Márta" ach "desembre" go "Mí na Nollag" (agus an rud céanna i "maig" is "novembre"). Ba cheart stíl amháin a úsáid. Is fearr liom "Márta", "Nollaig", srl., mar úsáidtear iad sna sonraí logchaighdeáin Unicode. —Leftmostcat 05:53, 4 Bealtaine 2008 (UTC)
- Tá difríocht mhór ann idir sonraí logchaighdeán agus sainmhíniú foclóra. Le bheith cruinn, ba cheart Mí na Bealtaine srl. a scríobh i sainmhínithe toisc gur féilte iad Bealtaine, Samhain agus Nollaig chomh maith le hainmneacha míonna.
- Athróidh mé iad go "Mí na [[Nollaig|Nollag]]" srl. áfach! Ní fiú duine a sheoladh chuig leathanach an ghinidigh. ☸ Moilleadóir ☎ 00:54, 9 Bealtaine 2008 (UTC)
Hello everybody. Sorry not to speak irish.
You can answer here, or on fr:Wiktionnaire:Proposer un mot/Archive 07 2008#cuil --Réglé, as you prefer. Thanks in advance. --Szyx 07:39, 29 Iúil 2008 (UTC)
- In fact, I've just sent them an e-mail about this (amongst other things) this afternoon.
- This word does not mean ‘knowledge’ in any conventional sense. A speaker of Modern Irish would most likely interpret it as meaning ‘fly’ (mouche!). The word they are referring to is the word for ‘hazel’ which is coll in both Modern and Old Irish. In Old Irish the plural and genitive singular was written cuill (modern coill).
- The connection with knowledge comes from mythology. There are a few different stories, but here an extract from one that I happen to have on my hard disk (from Old-Irish-L, September 2000) - from Cormac's Cup:
- Somewhere along the line there is also a story about the salmon eating the hazelnuts and becoming the famed Bradán Feasa (‘Salmon of Knowledge/Wisdom’) which the poet Finn Eces takes 7 years to catch. He then tells his apprentice, Find mac Cumail, to cook it for him, warning him not to eat its flesh. Fionn burns his thumb and immediately puts it in his mouth, thus gaining all the world’s knowledge.
- So, in a very roundabout way you can get from hazel trees (cuill) to hazelnuts to salmon to knowledge, but only in a very abstract poetic sense.
- I would pronounce it more like the English word quill by the way. I’m not 100% sure of Old Irish IPA conventions, but it might be /kˠɪʟʲ/.
- ☸ Moilleadóir ☎ 09:05, 29 Iúil 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks to you both for this prompt and extensive response. :-)) --Szyx 14:13, 29 Iúil 2008 (UTC)
New UK wikimedia chapter[athraigh]
A plan is in the works to found a new UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation, and we are currently gathering support from the community. If you are interested in being part of this new UK chapter as a member, a board member or as someone with a general interest in the chapter, please head over to m:Wikimedia UK v2.0 and let us know. We also welcome help in making finishing touches to the plans. An election will be held shortly for the initial board, who will oversee the process of founding the company and accepting membership applications. They will then call an AGM to formally elect a new board, which will take the chapter forward, starting to raise funds and generally supporting the Wikimedia community in the UK.
Geni 19:27, 30 Lúnasa 2008 (UTC)
For those of you who enjoy such things I translated a self-updating stats table. (Works easier here than at nl!). May the numbers skyrocket in 2009! Best wishes. Jcwf 23:27, 29 Mí na Nollag 2008 (UTC)
- Awesome!! :) Míle maith agat, a chara. Best wishes to you, Jaap, for the New Year!! Thanks for everything you've done on Vicífhoclóir last year :) - Alison ❤ 07:30, 30 Mí na Nollag 2008 (UTC) (I've pluralized it. Hope that's okay)
Úsáid an Ailt i dTeidil[athraigh]
Bhíos ag smaoineamh ar úsáid an ailt i dteidil leathanach agus measaim nár chóir dúinn é a úsáid. Má táim ar lorg focail i bhfoclóir, ní chuardaím ar "the Soviet Union" nó "an Ghearmáin" ach ar "Soviet Union" nó "Gearmáin". Is féidir linn "an" a chur san iontráil, ach tá ciall le teideal gan é, dar liomsa. Cad a cheapann sibh? (Tá brón orm agus abair liom mura bhfuil an chúis soiléir.) —Leftmostcat 10:19, 4 Eanáir 2009 (UTC)
- Is dócha gur cuma cén teideal a úáidtear chomh fada is go bhfuil 'redirect' ón gceann a úsáidtear go dtí an leagan eile. Sílim féin gur fearr an t-alt a fhágáil sa teideal toisc gurb é sin ainm ceart na tíre (seachas dár ndóigh tíortha nach nglacann an t-alt ar nós Éire, Sasana, Angóla, 7rl) Ní bhfeicfí 'Gearmáin' scríofa leis féin go minic, an t-aon sampla gur féidir liom smaoineamh ar ná sa fhrása 'ón nGearmáin', ach mar a dúirt mé, má tá 'redirect' ann geobhfar an leathanach ceart ar aon nós.
- —Scríobh an t-úsáideoir Usjes (plé) an trácht thuas gan é a shíniú • dréachtaí) 04:39, 5 Eanáir 2009
Creidim go bhfuil fadhbanna ag baint le n-úsáid an ailt i dteidil leathanach, m.sh. faoi láthair ní gheobhaidh tú toradh ar bith ar chuardach le haghaidh Gearmáin agus féach ar an gcatagóir Gaeilge: ainmfhocail - an bhfuil an Ghearmáin le fáil faoi G? Aontóinn leat go mba cheart an t-alt a úsáid i dteideal leathanaigh sa Vicipéid ach is foclóir é seo agus b'fhearr an t-aonad teangeolaíoch is bunúsaí a úsáid mar teideal. Mar sin féin, ceapaim gur riachtanach an t-alt a chur isteach i líne an cheannfhocail (m.sh. an Ghearmáin, bain.² (gu. na Gearmáine)). Ansin gheofá toradh ar chuardach le haghaidh Gearmáin agus an Ghearmáin (gan redirect a chruthú) agus bheadh sórtáil cheart ann sna catagóirí. ☸ Moilleadóir ☎ 16:29, 10 Bealtaine 2009 (UTC)
For your information. Conrad.Irwin 10:33, 10 Bealtaine 2009 (UTC)
- And the discussion is here. Actually I've always hated the Wiktionary logo. ☸ Moilleadóir ☎ 17:08, 10 Bealtaine 2009 (UTC)
Bonjour du Wiktionnaire[athraigh]
Póg (I'm sure it's not appropriate, but it's an irish word I learned in the book below -- I meant "hello", but "kiss" is a good approximation ;-)
Je suis en train d'entrer dans le Wiktionnaire les mots de L'irlandais de poche, Assimil évasion, ISBN 2-7005-0279-5, 2003. Des choses comme bosca litreach ou sonas. Cela vous intéressait-il de m'aider, en particulier pour les prononciations ?
- I'm currently adding to French Wiktionary the words listed in L'irlandais de poche ("The Pocket Irish", reference above). Would you be interested in helping me, in particular for the pronunciations ?
Go raibh maith agat.--Szyx 22:56, 19 Bealtaine 2009 (UTC)
- Je ne manque pas des choses à faire ici, mais je peux vous aider...peut-être...de temps en temps. Est-ce que c'est possible créer une catégorie comme "Prononciations manquant en gaélique irlandais"? ☸ Moilleadóir ☎ 07:09, 20 Bealtaine 2009 (UTC)
The Wiktionary logo vote is set to start 2009-12-07 00:01. Any translations must be done before then. The first round will continue until 2009-12-31 23:59 at which point the second round will last until 2010-01-31 23:59. Other Wiktionaries still need to be notified about the vote, so please help post messages into other Wiktionaries. Thank you. --Yair rand 06:56, 24 Mí na Samhna 2009 (UTC)
The call for applications for Wikimania Scholarships to attend Wikimania 2010 in Gdansk, Poland (July 9-11) is now open. The Wikimedia Foundation offers Scholarships to pay for selected individuals' round trip travel, accommodations, and registration at the conference. To apply, visit the Wikimania 2010 scholarships information page, click the secure link available there, and fill out the form to apply. For additional information, please visit the Scholarships information and FAQ pages:
Yours very truly, Cary Bass
Call for image filter referendum[athraigh]
The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether members of the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image filter, which would allow readers to voluntarily screen particular types of images strictly for their own account.
Further details and educational materials will be available shortly. The referendum is scheduled for 12-27 August, 2011, and will be conducted on servers hosted by a neutral third party. Referendum details, officials, voting requirements, and supporting materials will be posted at Meta:Image filter referendum shortly.
Sorry for delivering you a message in English. Please help translate the pages on the referendum on Meta and join the translators mailing list.
I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.
Open Call for 2012 Wikimedia Fellowship Applicants[athraigh]
I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.
- Do you want to help attract new contributors to Wikimedia projects?
- Do you want to improve retention of our existing editors?
- Do you want to strengthen our community by diversifying its base and increasing the overall number of excellent participants around the world?
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking Community Fellows and project ideas for the Community Fellowship Program. A Fellowship is a temporary position at the Wikimedia Foundation in order to work on a specific project or set of projects. Submissions for 2012 are encouraged to focus on the theme of improving editor retention and increasing participation in Wikimedia projects. If interested, please submit a project idea or apply to be a fellow by January 15, 2012. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fellowships for more information.
--Siko Bouterse, Head of Community Fellowships, Wikimedia Foundation 13:00, 21 Mí na Nollag 2011 (UTC)
Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta[athraigh]
Wikimedia Foundation is getting ready to push out 1.19 to all the WMF-hosted wikis. As we finish wrapping up our code review, you can test the new version right now on beta.wmflabs.org. For more information, please read the release notes or the start of the final announcement.
The following are the areas that you will probably be most interested in:
- New common*.css files usable by skins instead of having to copy piles of generic styles from MonoBook or Vector's css.
- The default user signature now contains a talk link in addition to the user link.
- Searching blocked usernames in block log is now clearer.
- Better timezone recognition in user preferences.
- Improved diff readability for colorblind people.
- The interwiki links table can now be accessed also when the interwiki cache is used (used in the API and the Interwiki extension).
- More gender support (for instance in logs and user lists).
- Language converter improved, e.g. it now works depending on the page content language.
- Time and number-formatting magic words also now depend on the page content language.
- Bidirectional support further improved after 1.18.
Report any problems on the labs beta wiki and we'll work to address them before they software is released to the production wikis.
Note that this cluster does have SUL but it is not integrated with SUL in production, so you'll need to create another account. You should avoid using the same password as you use here. — Global message delivery 00:10, 15 Eanáir 2012 (UTC)
An bhfuil an Vicífhoclóir chun dul dorcha amárach chun léirsiú i gcoinne SOPA/PIPA ? - 220.127.116.11
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to upgrade MediaWiki (the software powering this wiki) to its latest version this month. You can help to test it before it is enabled, to avoid disruption and breakage. More information is available in the full announcement. Thank you for your understanding.
fuaimniú na bhfocal "amha"[athraigh]
Update on IPv6[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the full version of this announcement on Meta)
The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to do limited testing of IPv6 on June 2-3. If there are not too many problems, we may fully enable IPv6 on World IPv6 day (June 6), and keep it enabled.
What this means for your project:
- At least on June 2-3, 2012, you may see a small number of edits from IPv6 addresses, which are in the form "
2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". See e.g. w:en:IPv6 address. These addresses should behave like any other IP address: You can leave messages on their talk pages; you can track their contributions; you can block them. (See the full version of this announcement for notes on range blocks.)
- In the mid term, some user scripts and tools will need to be adapted for IPv6.
- We suspect that IPv6 usage is going to be very low initially, meaning that abuse should be manageable, and we will assist in the monitoring of the situation.
Read the full version of this announcement on how to test the behavior of IPv6 with various tools and how to leave bug reports, and to find a fuller analysis of the implications of the IPv6 migration.
--Erik Möller, VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation 00:58, 2 Meitheamh 2012 (UTC)
2011 Picture of the Year competition[athraigh]
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We are interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year 2011. Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote and, of course everyone is welcome to view!
Detailed information about the contest can be found at the introductory page.
About 600 of the best of Wikimedia Common's photos, animations, movies and graphics were chosen –by the international Wikimedia Commons community– out of 12 million files during 2011 and are now called Featured Pictures.
From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons Features Pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
We regret that you receive this message in English; we intended to use banners to notify you in your native language but there was both, human and technical resistance.
See you on Commons! --Picture of the Year 2011 Committee 18:17, 5 Meitheamh 2012 (UTC)
Mobile view as default view coming soon[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the instructions on Meta)
The mobile view of this project and others will soon become the default view on mobile devices (except tablets). Some language versions of these projects currently show no content on the mobile home page, and it is a good time to do a little formatting so users get a mobile-friendly view, or to add to existing mobile content if some already exists.
If you are an administrator, please consider helping with this change. There are instructions which are being translated. The proposed date of switching the default view is June 21.
--Phil Inje Chang, Product Manager, Mobile, Wikimedia Foundation 08:29, 16 Meitheamh 2012 (UTC)
Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.
Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.
--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 20:04, 19 Iúil 2012 (UTC)
Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[athraigh]
I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.
The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.
If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)
Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)01:55, 6 Meán Fómhair 2012 (UTC)
Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)
As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.
The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:
- language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
- infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
- lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)
It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.
For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.
--Lydia Pintscher 13:18, 10 Meán Fómhair 2012 (UTC)
Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
Please watch for problems with:
- revision diffs
- PDF export
- images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
- the CologneBlue skin
Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.
Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 02:54, 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2012 (UTC)
P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.
Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[athraigh]
Please translate for your local community
The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email email@example.com. All countries needed (excepting USA)!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
Sent using Global message delivery, 16:59, 17 Deireadh Fómhair 2012 (UTC)
Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![athraigh]
Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.
I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
- Sent using Global message delivery, 20:53, 8 Eanáir 2013 (UTC)
Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[athraigh]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.
If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.
Thank you for your help and your understanding.
Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[athraigh]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
- Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
- Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
- Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?
Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.
Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 20:24, 30 Eanáir 2013 (UTC)
Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful[athraigh]
(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians)
Greetings. As you might have seen on the Wikimedia tech blog or the tech ambassadors list, a new functionality called "Lua" is being enabled on all Wikimedia sites today. Lua is a scripting language that enables you to write faster and more powerful MediaWiki templates.
If you have questions about how to convert existing templates to Lua (or how to create new ones), we'll be holding two support sessions on IRC next week: one on Wednesday (for Oceania, Asia & America) and one on Friday (for Europe, Africa & America); see m:IRC office hours for the details. If you can't make it, you can also get help at mw:Talk:Lua scripting.
If you'd like to learn about this kind of events earlier in advance, consider becoming a Tech ambassador by subscribing to the mailing list. You will also be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.
Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool[athraigh]
Hello, Rahul21, a developer, offers to develop a pronunciation recording tool for Wiktionary, helped by Michael Dale as part of GSoC. The tool would allow to record and add audio pronunciations to Wiktionary entries while browsing them (see background discussion on Wiktionary-l). Please read and comment the proposal! Regards, Nemo 22:38, 9 Aibreán 2013 (UTC)
(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians. Please also consider translating the proposal.)
Read this message in English / Lleer esti mensaxe n'asturianu / বাংলায় এই বার্তাটি পড়ুন / Llegiu aquest missatge en català / Læs denne besked på dansk / Lies diese Nachricht auf Deutsch / Leś cal mesag' chè in Emiliàn / Leer este mensaje en español / Lue tämä viesti suomeksi / Lire ce message en français / Ler esta mensaxe en galego / हिन्दी / Pročitajte ovu poruku na hrvatskom / Baca pesan ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia / Leggi questo messaggio in italiano / ಈ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಓದಿ / Aqra dan il-messaġġ bil-Malti / norsk (bokmål) / Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands / Przeczytaj tę wiadomość po polsku / Citiți acest mesaj în română / Прочитать это сообщение на русском / Farriintaan ku aqri Af-Soomaali / Pročitaj ovu poruku na srpskom (Прочитај ову поруку на српском) / อ่านข้อความนี้ในภาษาไทย / Прочитати це повідомлення українською мовою / Đọc thông báo bằng tiếng Việt / 使用中文阅读本信息。
There is a new request for comment on Meta-Wiki concerning the removal of administrative rights from long-term inactive Wikimedians. Generally, this proposal from stewards would apply to wikis without an administrators' review process.
We are also compiling a list of projects with procedures for removing inactive administrators on the talk page of the request for comment. Feel free to add your project(s) to the list if you have a policy on administrator inactivity.
All input is appreciated. The discussion may close as soon as 21 May 2013 (2013-05-21), but this will be extended if needed.
[en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming[athraigh]
Some accounts will soon be renamed due to a technical change that the developer team at Wikimedia are making. More details on Meta.
The default position of the "edit" link in page section headers is going to change soon. The "edit" link will be positioned adjacent to the page header text rather than floating opposite it.
Section edit links will be to the immediate right of section titles, instead of on the far right. If you're an editor of one of the wikis which already implemented this change, nothing will substantially change for you; however, scripts and gadgets depending on the previous implementation of section edit links will have to be adjusted to continue working; however, nothing else should break even if they are not updated in time.
Detailed information and a timeline is available on meta.
Ideas to do this all the way to 2009 at least. It is often difficult to track which of several potential section edit links on the far right is associated with the correct section, and many readers and anonymous or new editors may even be failing to notice section edit links at all, since they read section titles, which are far away from the links.
Hi, apologies for posting this in English, but I wanted to alert your community to a discussion on Meta about potential changes to the Wikimedia Trademark Policy. Please translate this statement if you can. We hope that you will all participate in the discussion; we also welcome translations of the legal team’s statement into as many languages as possible and encourage you to voice your thoughts there. Please see the Trademark practices discussion (on Meta-Wiki) for more information. Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk)
Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09[athraigh]
Pywikipedia is migrating to git[athraigh]
Hello, Sorry for English but It's very important for bot operators so I hope someone translates this. Pywikipedia is migrating to Git so after July 26, SVN checkouts won't be updated If you're using Pywikipedia you have to switch to git, otherwise you will use out-dated framework and your bot might not work properly. There is a manual for doing that and a blog post explaining about this change in non-technical language. If you have question feel free to ask in mw:Manual talk:Pywikipediabot/Gerrit, mailing list, or in the IRC channel. Best Amir (via Global message delivery). 13:13, 23 Iúil 2013 (UTC)
HTTPS for users with an account[athraigh]
Greetings. Starting on August 21 (tomorrow), all users with an account will be using HTTPS to access Wikimedia sites. HTTPS brings better security and improves your privacy. More information is available at m:HTTPS.
If HTTPS causes problems for you, tell us on bugzilla, on IRC (in the
#wikimedia-operations channel) or on meta. If you can't use the other methods, you can also send an e-mail to
(This message is in English, please translate as needed)
Notifications will inform users about new activity that affects them on this wiki in a unified way: for example, this new tool will let you know when you have new talk page messages, edit reverts, mentions or links -- and is designed to augment (rather than replace) the watchlist. The Wikimedia Foundation's editor engagement team developed this tool (code-named 'Echo') earlier this year, to help users contribute more productively to MediaWiki projects.
We're now getting ready to bring Notifications to almost all other Wikimedia sites, and are aiming for a 22 October deployment, as outlined in this release plan. It is important that notifications is translated for all of the languages we serve.
There are three major points of translation needed to be either done or checked:
- Echo on translatewiki for user interface - you must have an account on translatewiki to translate
- Thanks on translatewiki for user interface - you must have an account on translatewiki to translate
- Notifications help on mediawiki.org. This page can be hosted after translation on mediawiki.org or we can localize it to this Wikipedia. You do not have to have an account to translate on mediawiki, but single-user login will create it for you there if you follow the link.
Please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this new tool. For more information, visit this project hub and this help page. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 18:34, 4 Deireadh Fómhair 2013 (UTC)
Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.[athraigh]
Introducting Beta Features[athraigh]
(Apologies for writing in English. Please translate if necessary)
We would like to let you know about Beta Features, a new program from the Wikimedia Foundation that lets you try out new features before they are released for everyone.
Think of it as a digital laboratory where community members can preview upcoming software and give feedback to help improve them. This special preference page lets designers and engineers experiment with new features on a broad scale, but in a way that's not disruptive.
Beta Features is now ready for testing on MediaWiki.org. It will also be released on Wikimedia Commons and MetaWiki this Thursday, 7 November. Based on test results, the plan is to release it on all wikis worldwide on 21 November, 2013.
Here are the first features you can test this week:
- Media Viewer — view images in large size or full screen
- VisualEditor Formulæ (for wikis with VisualEditor) — edit algebra or equations on your pages
- Typography Refresh — make text more readable (coming Thursday)
Would you like to try out Beta Features now? After you log in on MediaWiki.org, a small 'Beta' link will appear next to your 'Preferences'. Click on it to see features you can test, check the ones you want, then click 'Save'. Learn more on the Beta Features page.
After you've tested Beta Features, please let the developers know what you think on this discussion page -- or report any bugs here on Bugzilla. You're also welcome to join this IRC office hours chat on Friday, 8 November at 18:30 UTC.
Beta Features was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation's Design, Multimedia and VisualEditor teams. Along with other developers, they will be adding new features to this experimental program every few weeks. They are very grateful to all the community members who helped create this project — and look forward to many more productive collaborations in the future.
Call for comments on draft trademark policy[athraigh]
Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?[athraigh]
I apologize for this message being only in English. Please translate it if needed to help your community.
The Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team seeks community guidance on a proposal to support the MP4 video format. This digital video standard is used widely around the world to record, edit and watch videos on mobile phones, desktop computers and home video devices. It is also known as H.264/MPEG-4 or AVC.
Supporting the MP4 format would make it much easier for our users to view and contribute video on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects -- and video files could be offered in dual formats on our sites, so we could continue to support current open formats (WebM and Ogg Theora).
However, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format, and using a proprietary format would be a departure from our current practice of only supporting open formats on our sites -- even though the licenses appear to have acceptable legal terms, with only a small fee required.
We would appreciate your guidance on whether or not to support MP4. Our Request for Comments presents views both in favor and against MP4 support, based on opinions we’ve heard in our discussions with community and team members.
All users are welcome to participate, whether you are active on Commons, Wikipedia, other Wikimedia project -- or any site that uses content from our free media repository.
You are also welcome to join tomorrow's Office hours chat on IRC, this Thursday, January 16, at 19:00 UTC, if you would like to discuss this project with our team and other community members.
Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014[athraigh]
On January 21 2014 the MediaWiki extension Universal Language Selector (ULS) was disabled on this wiki. A new preference was added for logged-in users to turn on ULS. This was done to prevent slow loading of pages due to ULS webfonts, a behaviour that had been observed by the Wikimedia Technical Operations team on some wikis.
We are now ready to enable ULS again. The temporary preference to enable ULS will be removed. A new checkbox has been added to the Language Panel to enable/disable font delivery. This will be unchecked by default for this wiki, but can be selected at any time by the users to enable webfonts. This is an interim solution while we improve the feature of webfonts delivery.
IMPORTANT: Admin activity review[athraigh]
Hello. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc) was recently adopted by global community consensus (your community received a notice about the discussion). According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on smaller wikis. To the best of our knowledge, your wiki does not have a formal process for removing "advanced rights" from inactive accounts. This means that the stewards will take care of this according to the new admin activity review here.
We have determined that the following users meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for more than 2 years):
- Gainéad (administrator)
These users will receive a notification soon, asking them to start a community discussion if they want to retain some or all of their rights. If the users do not respond, then their advanced rights will be removed by the stewards.
However, if you as a community would like to create your own activity review process superseding the global one, want to make another decision about these inactive rights holders, or already have a policy that we missed, then please notify the stewards on Meta-Wiki so that we know not to proceed with the rights review on your wiki. Thanks, -- Quentinv57 14:06, 22 Feabhra 2014 (UTC)
Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments[athraigh]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
Do you have an idea for a project that could improve your community? Individual Engagement Grants from the Wikimedia Foundation help support individuals and small teams to organize experiments for 6 months. You can get funding to try out your idea for online community organizing, outreach, tool-building, or research to help make Vicífhoclóir better. In March, we’re looking for new project proposals.
Examples of past Individual Engagement Grant projects:
- Organizing social media for Chinese Wikipedia ($350 for materials)
- Improving gadgets for Visual Editor ($4500 for developers)
- Coordinating access to reliable sources for Wikipedians ($7500 for project management, consultants and materials)
- Building community and strategy for Wikisource (€10000 for organizing and travel)
Hope to have your participation,
--Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 19:44, 28 Feabhra 2014 (UTC)
Changes to the default site typography coming soon[athraigh]
This week, the typography on Wikimedia sites will be updated for all readers and editors who use the default "Vector" skin. This change will involve new serif fonts for some headings, small tweaks to body content fonts, text size, text color, and spacing between elements. The schedule is:
- April 1st: non-Wikipedia projects will see this change live
- April 3rd: Wikipedias will see this change live
This change is very similar to the "Typography Update" Beta Feature that has been available on Wikimedia projects since November 2013. After several rounds of testing and with feedback from the community, this Beta Feature will be disabled and successful aspects enabled in the default site appearance. Users who are logged in may still choose to use another skin, or alter their personal CSS, if they prefer a different appearance. Local common CSS styles will also apply as normal, for issues with local styles and scripts that impact all users.
For more information:
Dear Wiktionary community!
- About me
- My name is Rainer Rillke, and I have been volunteering at Wikimedia Commons for 3 years now, gathering experience around media files. I've been always interested in how things work and how one could improve them.
- The idea
- One idea that appeared last Summer was allowing the recording of small chunks of speech, uploading that to Wikimedia Commons in the background and including this into a Wiktionary entry without having the hassle doing everything by hand or installing additional software. That idea led to the foundation of MediaWiki extension PronunciationRecording during the Google Summer of Code. However, this was not completed; instead development is stale for over 5 months now.
- My proposal
- To make this going to work, so Wiktionary has an immediate benefit of this feature, I would like to provide the work done so far as a gadget and add some more work in regard to usability. You can see my plan at m:Grants:IEG/Finish Pronunciation Recording. And more importantly, you can give me a hand, if you are interested by writing your comments.
Greetings, my apologies for writing in English.
I wanted to let you know that Media Viewer will be released to this wiki in the coming weeks. Media Viewer allows readers of Wikimedia projects to have an enhanced view of files without having to visit the file page, but with more detail than a thumbnail. You can try Media Viewer out now by turning it on in your Beta Features. If you do not enjoy Media Viewer or if it interferes with your work after it is turned on you will be able to disable Media Viewer as well in your preferences. I invite you to share what you think about Media Viewer and how it can be made better in the future.
Thank you for your time. - Keegan (WMF) 21:29, 23 Bealtaine 2014 (UTC)
Using only UploadWizard for uploads[athraigh]
Hello! Sorry for writing in English. It was noted that on this wiki upload is not fully functional for users, who will experience a very difficult and/or illegal uploading. In fact, the licenses/copyright tags dropdown is empty, making it hard or impossible to comply with copyright requirements during upload itself.
- local "Uaslódaigh comhad" restricted to the "Riarthóirí" group (for emergency uploads) and
- the sidebar point to commons:Special:UploadWizard,
so that you can avoid local maintenance and all users can have a functioning, easy upload interface in their own language. All registered users can upload on Commons and existing files will not be affected.
All this will get done around 2014-07-03.
- If you disagree with the proposal, just remove your wiki from the list. Remember also to create MediaWiki:Licenses locally with any content (see a simple example), or uploads will be soon disabled anyway by MediaWiki itself (starting in version 1.24wmf11).
- To make the UploadWizard even better, please tell your experience and ideas on commons:Commons:Upload Wizard feedback.
Nemo 13:09, 19 Meitheamh 2014 (UTC)
Media Viewer is now live on this wiki[athraigh]
Greetings— and sorry for writing in English, please translate if it will help your community,
Media Viewer displays images in larger size when you click on their thumbnails, to provide a better viewing experience. Users can now view images faster and more clearly, without having to jump to separate pages — and its user interface is more intuitive, offering easy access to full-resolution images and information, with links to the file repository for editing. The tool has been tested extensively across all Wikimedia wikis over the past six months as a Beta Feature and has been released to the largest Wikipedias, all language Wikisources, and the English Wikivoyage already.
If you do not like this feature, you can easily turn it off by clicking on "Disable Media Viewer" at the bottom of the screen, pulling up the information panel (or in your your preferences) whether you have an account or not. Learn more in this Media Viewer Help page.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about Media Viewer. You are invited to share your feedback in this discussion on MediaWiki.org in any language, to help improve this feature. You are also welcome to take this quick survey in English, en français, o español.
Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decisions[athraigh]
The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.
If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.
Process ideas for software development[athraigh]
’’My apologies for writing in English.’’
I am notifying you that a brainstorming session has been started on Meta to help the Wikimedia Foundation increase and better affect community participation in software development across all wiki projects. Basically, how can you be more involved in helping to create features on Wikimedia projects? We are inviting all interested users to voice their ideas on how communities can be more involved and informed in the product development process at the Wikimedia Foundation. It would be very appreciated if you could translate this message to help inform your local communities as well.
I and the rest of my team welcome you to participate. We hope to see you on Meta.
Grants to improve your project[athraigh]
- Apologies for English. Please help translate this message.
Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants program is accepting proposals for funding new experiments from September 1st to 30th. Your idea could improve Wikimedia projects with a new tool or gadget, a better process to support community-building on your wiki, research on an important issue, or something else we haven't thought of yet. Whether you need $200 or $30,000 USD, Individual Engagement Grants can cover your own project development time in addition to hiring others to help you.
- Submit your proposal
- Get help: In IdeaLab or an upcoming Hangout session MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:51, 2 Meán Fómhair 2014 (UTC)
Meta RfCs on two new global groups[athraigh]
There are currently requests for comment open on meta to create two new global groups. The first is a group for members of the OTRS permissions queue, which would grant them autopatrolled rights on all wikis except those who opt-out. That proposal can be found at m:Requests for comment/Creation of a global OTRS-permissions user group. The second is a group for Wikimedia Commons admins and OTRS agents to view deleted file pages through the 'viewdeletedfile' right on all wikis except those who opt-out. The second proposal can be found at m:Requests for comment/Global file deletion review.
We would like to hear what you think on both proposals. Both are in English; if you wanted to translate them into your native language that would also be appreciated.
It is possible for individual projects to opt-out, so that users in those groups do not have any additional rights on those projects. To do this please start a local discussion, and if there is consensus you can request to opt-out of either or both at m:Stewards' noticeboard.Thanks and regards, Ajraddatz (talk) 18:05, 26 Deireadh Fómhair 2014 (UTC)
AbuseFilter is a MediaWiki extension used to detect likely abusive behavior patterns, like pattern vandalism and spam. In 2013, Global AbuseFilters were enabled on a limited set of wikis including Meta-Wiki, MediaWiki.org, Wikispecies and (in early 2014) all the "small wikis". Recently, global abuse filters were enabled on "medium sized wikis" as well. These filters are currently managed by stewards on Meta-Wiki and have shown to be very effective in preventing mass spam attacks across Wikimedia projects. However, there is currently no policy on how the global AbuseFilters will be managed although there are proposals. There is an ongoing request for comment on policy governing the use of the global AbuseFilters. In the meantime, specific wikis can opt out of using the global AbuseFilter. These wikis can simply add a request to this list on Meta-Wiki. More details can be found on this page at Meta-Wiki. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on m:Talk:Global AbuseFilter.
— 17:34, 14 Samhain 2014 (UTC)
[Global proposal] m.Vicífhoclóir.org: (iad uile) Edit pages[athraigh]
Hi, this message is to let you know that, on domains like ga.m.wikipedia.org, unregistered users cannot edit. At the Wikimedia Forum, where global configuration changes are normally discussed, a few dozens users propose to restore normal editing permissions on all mobile sites. Please read and comment!
Thanks and sorry for writing in English, Nemo 22:32, 1 Márta 2015 (UTC)
Inspire Campaign: Improving diversity, improving content[athraigh]
This March, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas for improving gender diversity on Wikimedia projects. Less than 20% of Wikimedia contributors are women, and many important topics are still missing in our content. We invite all Wikimedians to participate. If you have an idea that could help address this problem, please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 31.
All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive, positive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign and help this project better represent the world’s knowledge!